The Marvel Studios panel at San Diego Comic-Con would be a highly anticipated panel even if The Avengers didn’t set box office records. But the expectations are even higher now as people are wondering how the studio is going to be able to top 2012. Some of that speculation ends here, and new speculations will begin.
- Thor 2 now officially titled Thor: The Dark World.
- Captain America 2 now officially titled, Captain America: The Winter Soldier. As fans of the comics will know, the Winter Soldier was Cap’s partner Bucky, who instead of dying, was captured by the Russians, brainwashed and turned into an assassin. So, did Sebastian Stan have a deal for two films?
- It’s official! Coming to us from Marvel on August 1, 2014, the Guardians of the Galaxy! We’ll be having posts in the next few days concerning what to expect from the film, including a history of the concept and characters as they appeared in the comic book.
- For those of you crestfallen that Ant-Man was not the next in line for the Marvel film treatment, don’t despair too much. Edgar Wright was there and presented the rumored test footage he did to show the shrinking special effects, This is what Brendon Connolly at Bleeding Cool had to say about it:
As he walked on stage to take a seat, Edgar Wright held up a copy of the Ant Man comics. This one.Wright said that he wanted to adapt that story, To Steal an Ant Man, and that’s still his plan before teasing us and then, to swooning, unveiled his test footage for the film.
The sequence was largely unfinished but showed ant man looking out of an air vent into a corridor towards an elevator door protected by two CIA-looking suited up goons. He grows to full size, leaps through the air and shrinks as he does so, delivering his kick at ant size, but will full-scale weight.
During the scene he lands on the barrel of one of the agents guns and runs along it mini sized.
The character has not been cast, and the performer in the suit was only a stand in, but Wright did speak a little about the costume. While it won’t be final, it did indicate what they are going for – a mixture of the contemporary look and the silver age design.
Wright says that “Ant Man will kick your ass… one inch at a time.” I don’t know about one inch at a time. My ass is already kicked up and down.
- The Iron Man 3 footage showed us that, yes, Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin, and that he will have ten rings and ceremonial garb.
No mention of The Black Panther, or any of the other rumored films Marvel has in the pipeline. I’m sure that will come in time. But now, what do you think?