FANTASTIC FOUR Reboot: Could Doctor Doom Be A Woman?

doctordoomThe trainwreck that the Fantastic Four reboot is quickly becoming has thrown a couple more rocks on the tracks.

The Hollywood Reporter’s Heat Vision blog has reported that screen tests have begun on the reboot with familiar names (Miles Teller, Kate Mara) and new names (Emmy Rossum, Christian Cook) in the mix. But there is one tidbit added to the article that is sure to get fans upset.

The article states that Fox is testing big names for the reboot’s villain, Doctor Doom, and they aren’t ruling out casting a woman in the role.

Yes, Marvel’s most famous bad guy might just be a bad girl for the reboot.

So we will have an African-American Johnny Storm in Michael B. Jordan, and female Doctor Doom. Yeesh.

Now, in a way, this is brilliant on Fox’s part. “What, you don’t like a black Johnny Storm? What are you, racist?” “What, you have a problem with woman being Dr. Doom? What are you, sexist?” All while wrapping the complaints up as another round of the typical fanboy griping, which is easily dismissed.

But when you add this to a plot that makes major changes to the origin and takes away a lot of the elements that made the Fantastic Four great, you are quickly approaching a Fantastic Four film that is one in name only. And that is a valid reason for fans to get upset.

But a lot of this is based on rumor and innuendo. Maybe there is nothing to worry about. We shall see.

About William Gatevackes 1937 Articles
William is cursed with the shared love of comic books and of films. Luckily, this is a great time for him to be alive. His writing has been featured on Broken Frontier.com, PopMatters.com and in Comics Foundry magazine.
Notify of

FANTASTIC FOUR Reboot: Could Doctor Doom Be A Woman? http://t.co/VsXBGhf6e8

Crystal Phan
February 6, 2014 2:33 pm

Me too.

James Merolla
February 6, 2014 3:55 pm

Why is this so roundly rejected? I think it could be cool.

Crystal Phan
February 6, 2014 4:25 pm

I’m just sick of everything outside of Avengers being fucked.

James Merolla
February 6, 2014 4:26 pm

Why is it fucked to have a female villain? I don’t get it.

Crystal Phan
February 6, 2014 4:28 pm

I love the idea of female villains. Ok, it kind of reminds me of how they changed Galactic.. You know what I mean. I can’t speak for everyone else but I have those same feelings.

James Merolla
February 6, 2014 4:35 pm

Yeah, but they changed Galactus into a cloud. I could understand fans of the comics being upset with that. Personally, I thought they had the right idea, but it looked stupid, and their use of it was stupid. I think it’s more about casting and script than whether or not Doom is female. It’s the only thing that has excited me about this, another comic book film. I wish more of these Marvel films would actually take chances with the material and use it for an original cinematic expression rather than a strict redistributing of the same ideas. /rant

William Gatevackes
February 6, 2014 8:15 pm

For me, it’s two things. One I mentioned in the article–it is another step away from the source material, and one I think takes it to the territory of being something that is completely different. Why don’t they just use this as an original film and leave the FF alone. And two, the Reed/Doom dynamic has always been to me a battle of machismo using intellect instead of brawn. That doesn’t work if one of them is a woman.

Sean Klus
February 6, 2014 8:28 pm

Pretty much right on Bill. At what point, if any, can Marvels lawyers step in and say “Thats not FF and we’d like our rights back”?

Greg Korin
February 6, 2014 9:16 pm

Sadly, they can’t….once they signed away those rights, they signed away everything…….

Richard Zeszotarski
February 6, 2014 9:56 pm

Ugh, why, oh why, do they keep fucking this character up? He’s Darth Vader, folks, he’s pretty much Darth Vader as a mad scientist. Why can’t you Hollywood schmucks get that?

Richard Zeszotarski
February 6, 2014 10:05 pm

Dammit, at this point, I think I should get a Doom costume, have someone videotape me doing the handclench and shouting “Richards!” and I should play Doom.

Richard Zeszotarski
February 6, 2014 10:09 pm

Of course , I’d want a scene where Sue has been baking for Ben and Johnny and Doom shows up at the Baxter building for a civil (for Doom at least) visit…. Sue: “Fat-free muffin, Victor?” Doom: “you certainly are, Susan!” (yeah, I know, I know, I stole that from “Married With Children”, but comeon,it’s hilarious!)

Richard Zeszotarski
February 6, 2014 10:18 pm

I felt very cheated that Galactus was just a big cloud. I wanted to see a guy in a big purple helmet. Look at the old Fox Silver Surfer cartoon. That CAN be made to look huge,awe-inspring and even a little frightening.Also remember, Galactus looks different to every species in the universe. Earthlings see him as a huge human,but Skrulls see him as a huge Skrull in a purple helmet and armor, and the Shiar see him as a huge Shiar in a purple helmet and armor,etc.

Richard Zeszotarski
February 6, 2014 10:21 pm

They should just get some big dude, throw a Doom suit on him, and have him act out the part, but Peter Wyndgarde should be the voice of Doom.

Richard Zeszotarski
February 6, 2014 10:23 pm

General Klytus-the Dr. Doom we deserved but never go.

Richard Zeszotarski
February 6, 2014 10:23 pm

got, that is.

April Korin
February 6, 2014 11:33 pm

April Korin liked this on Facebook.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x