Tags: , , ,

Kate Mara Apparently Confirms FANTASTIC FOUR Reboot Not True To Source Material

Posted on 15 July 2014 by William Gatevackes

kate mara mexican esquireI’ve devoted a lot of the server space FBOL takes up to hand-wringing over how bad the Fantastic Four reboot was going to be. My main concern was the plot synopsis that appeared on a casting announcement that indicated that the reboot will be almost 100% different than the comic book it takes its name from. Josh Trank went to Twitter to deny that the synopsis was real, but Fox legal still sent out takedown notices to any film site that reported on the casting announcement’s plot blurb, including us.

However, part of me wanted to believe Trank that this was not true, that the powers that be would not be so arrogantly stupid to change what made the Fantastic Four the Fantastic Four. But an interview with Kate Mara by the Mexican edition of Esquire Magazine most likely put the last nail in the coffin of that hope.

Wedged in between pictures of Mara lounging in vintage underwear, the magazine managed to ask Mara about her up coming role in the reboot, specifically dealing with the comics themselves. ComicBookMovie is there to translate:

Q: Do you like comics?

A: I’ve never been a fan of comics, I’ve never actually read one. I was going to for this movie but the director said it wasn’t necessary. Well, actually he told us that we shouldn’t do it because the plot won’t be based on any history of anything already published. So I chose to follow his instructions. The one fact is I am a fan of comic book movies, so it’s very exciting to be part of a movie like this.

Okay, the “looking-on-the-bright-side-of-things” Bill says that maybe this was just an error in translation. Or it could be willful misdirection. Or maybe Mara meant that the film will not be based on any particular story arc from the comics but that the origin will remain…will…ah, who am I trying to kid. The casting plot synopsis was right. Get ready for a loosely-affiliated band of super-powered government mercenaries as your reboot FF. I’m sure it will be kewl.

This of course begs the question of when does a FF film not become an FF film? And why didn’t they just create an original film around the concept instead of  just tacking the FF name on to something that bares little resemblance to the source material? Is the name that much of a draw? If so, why not pay more respect to it?

The trainwreck is set to hit theaters on June 19, 2015. Maybe we’ll find out how many puppies they’ve sacrificed to the Dark Gods next week at San Diego Comic Con.

 

Comments (6)

Tags: , , , ,

Is Outer Space In THE HULK’s Future? (Updated!)

Posted on 01 July 2014 by William Gatevackes

avengers-commercial-hulkThe worst part about this latest information is that it will mean that El Mayimbe was at least partially right. Dagnabbit!

The Latino Review scribe was the one who started the rumor in February of last year that the Hulk would be featured in the upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe and the Planet Hulk/World War Hulk storyline from the comics would be the basis of of the film story. The rumor was almost immediately refuted by Ain’t It Cool News, but was so powerful that it still held enough sway that Mark Ruffalo felt the need to debunk in once again as recently as yesterday.

However, this most recent denial from Ruffalo was too much for HitFix’s Drew McWeeny. See, McWeeny paid a visit to the set of The Avengers: Age of Ultron and what he saw did not exactly jibe with what Ruffalo was saying, and it bothered him so much that, confidentiality agreement be damned, he felt compelled to say something. So, he did.

(See update below for clarification.)

Now, McWeeny felt the need to reveal where the Hulk is at the end of The Avengers: Age of Ultron. Since I am going to be discussing as well, I think it calls for one of these:

DisneyspoilerwarningAnd, since I want to be sure that you know what you are getting into, let me hit you with that again:

DisneyspoilerwarningSo, apparently McWeeny saw  Bruce Banner’s final fate in The Avengers: Age of Ultron during his set visit. And this is what it is:

Without giving away why and how, let’s look at the state of things for Bruce Banner at the end of “Age Of Ultron.” Banner continues to play a key role in things in this movie, and when the final war with Ultron spills onto the battlefield and out of the virtual realm, he has a major part to play. Unfortunately, that ends with him onboard a Quin jet on his way off the planet, with no way to immediately turn things around. He’s going to have to ride out the trip. It’s pre-programmed and he can’t stop it.

I am immediately willing to discount this whole thing just because McWeeny doesn’t know that “Quinjet” is one word.

As any savvy comic fan knows, that is pretty much how the Planet Hulk storyline begins in the comics. I bet El Mayimbe is happy!

And look, he is!

However, McWeeny is quick to burst that particular bubble, by giving his own, non-Planet Hulk theory on how Banner’s exile will work out.

Here’s where I’d wager his spaceship is headed: wherever the Guardians of the Galaxy are located. If I was a betting man, I’d say there will be no Hulk solo film as part of Phase Three. Instead, Banner’s ship will take him to another planet, where he will end up meeting the Guardians and having an adventure with them. Hulk will definitely come out to play a few times. I suspect we’ll see some sequences that very much feel like they’re part of the Planet Hulk story, but that the larger story will be about the Guardians finding a way to get Banner home, only to end up going with him. That would move a big piece of the puzzle into place to get Thanos looking back at the Earth in time for the third “Avengers” film.

McWeeny’s theory does makes sense. Ruffalo has a lot of films to burn through and him being in GotG 2 will add another film. It will also add star power to the sequel, and provide a bridge between Marvel’s Earthbound heroes. But while Marvel supposedly has a plan until 2028, they typically don’t announce a sequel until they get a box office from the current film. I don’t think GotG2 is a done deal quite as of yet.

And, of course, there are could be other ways Marvel can go from here, everything from a pure Planet Hulk adaptation to a way to introduce the Inhumans into the Cinematic Universe. Also, just throwing this out there, this scene could have been a fake scene shot for McWeeny’s benefit as a test by Marvel if he would say anything. And, of course, now that this scene is out there, Marvel might decide to scrap it and go elsewhere since the surprise is gone. The possibilities are endless.

However, if either El Mayimbe’s or McWeeny’s theories are correct, it might be another sign that we are entering a dark period of creativity for Marvel Studios. You get the feeling that Marvel doesn’t believe that the “Hulk being a hunted man” storyline will no longer bear any fruit, even though The Incredible Hulk TV series ran for years on that very premise. But the Hulk is still one of Marvel’s most recognizable properties. Having to wait for an Avengers flick to see the character is bad enough. Having the next time we see him after that be once again as an ensemble player or the lead in a gladiatorial epic seems to be at best very risky or at worse, deadly for the character.

More should be clear as the weeks and months progress.

UPDATE:

Drew McWeeny sent us an e-mail to clarify some confusion I had pertaining to his post:

The information I revealed about the fate of the Hulk in “Avengers: Age Of  Ultron” was not something I learned during my set visit, nor did I say “confidentiality agreement be damned.” I did not discuss anything I saw during my trip to London. My own sources supplied me with my information about the end of the film, and I am 100% confident of its accuracy.

Please take this into account when considering my post above.

Comments (3)

Tags: ,

Renner Confirms Return For MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 5

Posted on 08 June 2014 by Rich Drees

JeremyRenner1

It may not seem like it at first, but when you think about it, Jeremy Renner seems to be a go-to guy for action franchises. He’s a part of Marvel Studio’s blockbuster Avengers films. He has taken over the Bourne franchise and may have be returning for a second Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters.

And just in case you forgot, he was being positioned in Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol to take over that franchise from Tom Cruise. Well, Cruise will be back for a fifth installment, but the idea that Renner may one day assume the reins of the series has not been abandoned. Last week in an interview with Yahoo, he mentioned that amongst his work load over the next couple of years will be a return to the spy franchise.

I’m kind of strapped time-wise doing Avengers 2, and Mission: Impossible 5 is rearing its head, and then they want to do another Bourne movie.

I don’t think there has been an official announcement of his participation in the sequel yet, so I suppose we can take this as close to an official confirmation that his character of William Brandt will be returning for another outing with Cruise’s Ethan Hunt and the Impossible Missions Force. Maybe Mission: Impossible 6 will be the time for Brandt to shine in the spotlight.

Currently director Christopher McQuarrie is prepping the film for a shoot later this year in order to meet the announced release date of Christmas 2015.

Comments (2)

Tags: , , , ,

Cumberbatch, Hardy Being Considered For DOCTOR STRANGE

Posted on 06 June 2014 by William Gatevackes

cumberbarch hardy dr, strangeWhile Ant-Man flounders in the wake of losing its director, Doctor Strange is pressing full steam ahead, even though it hasn’t been officially announced yet.

One had to expect that after Scott Derrickson was named director of the film, the casting rumors would stat coming fast and furious. And they have.

Deadline is reporting that Marvel has started a wish list of actors they’d like to play Stephen Strange and on the top of that list is Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hardy.

Now would be the time to mention that we at that “apple-pie-in-the-sky” period of casting rumors, where the actors named might actually be the ones Marvel wants, they might not actually be the actors Marvel gets.

That being said, if Marvel does cast Cumberbatch as Strange, they can just take my money now. I’ll camp out in the theater and wait for the film to arrive. However, Cumberbatch has been mentioned before in geek cred properties and not signed on (namely Star Wars). So, I’m not holding my breath.

Hardy is an interesting choice. Most people might only know him as the barely-audible Bane in The Dark Knight Rises, but he is definitely a skilled actor. I wouldn’t mind seeing him in the role.

Comments (5)

Tags: , ,

MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING Is Getting A Sequel

Posted on 27 May 2014 by Rich Drees

MyBigFatGreekWedding

Writer/actress Nia Vardalos is getting ready to say her vows again. Deadline is reporting that the writer and star of the 2002 hit independent comedy My Big Fat Greek Wedding has finished the screenplay for a sequel. Vardalos will be joined on-screen by her Wedding co-star and groom John Corbett as well as various members of her character’s extended, trouble causing family.

In a statement Vardalos said –

Now that I’m experiencing motherhood, I’m ready to write the next chapter of my family story. Of course a few jaded folks in the press corps will claim I ran out of money or just want to kiss John Corbett again. One of these things is true.

Although the film was produced for approximately $5 million, it grossed over $368 million worldwide, making it one of the most successful indie films of all time.

This is not the first time that Vardalos revisited the Portokalos clan of the film. In 2003, the film spun off the television series My Big Fat Greek Life, though it did poorly in the ratings and only lasted one season.

Comments (23)

Tags: , ,

Jackie Chan Teaming With Renny Harlin And Seann William Scott For SKIPTRACE

Posted on 21 May 2014 by Rich Drees

JackieChan1

Although his work in numerous Hong Kong-produced action films have been rightly praised the world over, his work done in Hollywood has been at best a mixed-bag. But will Chan bringing elements of Hollywood to Hong Kong for a film produce better results? We may just find out as Die Hard 2 director Renny Harlin is in talks to direct the Hong Kong-produced Skiptrace which is set to star Chan and Seann William Scott.

According to the Hollywood Reporter

The story, based on an idea by Chan, centers on a good cop (Chan) whose niece (Fan Bingbing) gets into trouble with a crime syndicate run by a man the detective has been chasing for a decade. The cop is forced to track down the one person who can help save the niece — a fast-talking American gambler (Scott) — and bring him to Hong Kong.

Harlin has had a career that has seen both some highs and lows and hopefully this will be more Die Hard 2 than The Exorcist: The Beginning. What’s more interesting is to see a name director like Harlin being hired for a film not being funded by a Hollywood studio. Instead, the budget is being covered by China’s Talent International Film Co. and Dasym Entertainment. It will be interesting to see if this will lead to more creative freedom for Harlin, Chan and the rest of the production team.

It might be a while though before we may be able to see the end results as there’s no word yet as to any distribution deals for the film in the United States being set.

Comments (2)

Tags: , , , , , ,

Harrison Ford Offered Role In BLADE RUNNER Sequel

Posted on 15 May 2014 by William Gatevackes

Blade-RunnerTypically, when a star is offered a role in a movie, it is done behind closed doors as a private matter between the producers and their agent.This way, if a star says no, the only way the world will find out is if it slips out through the easy-to-deny web of gossip sites.

Alcon Entertainment is taking a different approach. The Warner Brothers-based production company wants Harrison Ford for their Blade Runner sequel and they don’t care who knows it. As a matter of fact, it’s quite the opposite, they want everyone to know it–the news hit the wire via a press release from the company.

This move is quite unorthodox, and one can’t help to think that there is some kind of ulterior motive for making this offer public. The reason that readily comes to mind is that they want some kind of public pressure on Ford to take the role, knowing fans of the original would be clamoring for the actor to return to one of his most iconic roles.

If Ford takes them up on their offer, he wouldn’t be only one connected with the first production involved in the sequel. Blade Runner‘s director Ridley Scott is attached to helm the sequel, and one of the writers of the original film, Hampton Fancher, will be co-writing this one with Michael Green.

Ford has expressed interest in revisiting Rick Deckard in the past, but his now busy schedule, coincidentally stuffed with roles from his past,  might be the only thing standing in his way. As we all know know, Ford has returned to reprise his role as Han Solo in J.J. Abrams new Star Wars trilogy. And there are rumblings that a new Indiana Jones film is being developed. Ford was able to juggle all three franchises back in the early 80s, but there are 30-plus years of extra mileage on him now.

Needless to say, it will be interesting to see what Ford’s response to this public wooing will be.

Via Collider.

Comments (2)

Tags: , , , ,

Bob Hoskins, 71

Posted on 30 April 2014 by William Gatevackes

bobhoskinsVeteran British actor Bob Hoskins has died after a bout with pneumonia. He was 71.

Hoskins got his start on the London stage in the late 1960s, and soon found himself with roles in a number of British television shows of the 1970s. His TV work led to film work, with roleds in film,s such as Pink Floyd; The Wall, Lassiter, The Cotton Club, Brazil and Sweet Liberty.

His breakthrough performance came in 1986 when he played the male lead in Neil Jordan’s Mona Lisa, playing an ex-con who get a job driving a high class call girl from appointment to appointment. The role garnered Hoskin a Golden Globe win and an Oscar nomination.

This led to Hoskins gaining the attention of Robert Zemeckis, who cast the actor in his most famous role–as private investigator Eddie Valiant in 1988’s Who Framed Roger Rabbit, a performance that would garner the actor another Golden Globe nomination.

Hoskins’ post-Roger Rabbit roles would switch between kid-friendly fare (Hook, Super Mario Brothers), supporting parts in comedies and dramas (Mermaids, Mrs. Henderson Presents, Maid in Manhattan) and historical figures such as J. Edgar Hoover in Nixon, Eddie Mannix in Hollywoodland, among others.

His last role was in 2012’s Snow White and the Huntsman. Hoskins retired from acting soon after due to being diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease.

Comments (4)

Tags: ,

Jason Momoa Rumored To Have Joined BATMAN VS SUPERMAN

Posted on 26 April 2014 by Rich Drees

jason-momoa-300Ray Fisher, who was announced as joining the cast of Batman Vs Superman earlier this week, may not be the only new actor signed for Warners’ Man Of Steel sequel this week. There is a rumor starting to circulate that Jason Momoa will also be joining the film as well.

The story has its origins over at Batman News, who is quoting an anonymous source stating that Momoa actually signed for the film months ago for an unspecified part. Last December, Momoa was first rumored to be up for a part in the film, though at the time it was thought he might have been up for the role of the villainous alien Doomsday. The current frontrunner character for Momoa now is Aquaman. If so, that would put the film one step closer to getting the full Justice League on the big screen, which I am sure that Warner Brothers’ brass, having seen the box office grosses on 2012’s The Avengers, is anxious to do as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, I have the feeling that they may be proceeding too fast.

Comments (10)

Tags: , ,

Fey And Poehler To Play Sisters In THE NEST

Posted on 09 April 2014 by Rich Drees

TinaFeyAmyPoehler

Between their work on Saturday Night Live, hosting the Golden Globes and the film Baby Mama, comic actresses Tina Fey and Amy Poehler have shown that they share a great comic chemistry. Now the two will be bringing that back to the big screen in the film The Nest.

Fey signed on to the project late last year and now Deadline is reporting that Poehler is in final negotiations to join the cast of the Jason Moore-directed project. Former Saturday Night Live writer Paula Pell is responsible for the screenplay, which tells the story of two sisters who return to the family home on the eve of it being sold for one last weekend of partying.

No word yet as to when the project will start shooting but I would surmise that it will shoot later this spring/early summer when Poehler is on break from her hit television series Parks And Recreation and will be released sometime in early 2015.

Comments (1)