And then there were nine. From the 65 eligible films submitted to the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences for consideration for this year’s Best Foreign Language Feature Academy Award, nine films have been chosen to advance to the next round of voting. Members of the Academy’s Foreign Language Film Award Executive Committee will view all nine films and then select the five who will be placed in nomination for the Oscar.
The qualifying films are-
- Austria- “Revanche,” Gotz Spielmann, director
- Canada- “The Necessities of Life,” Benoit Pilon, director
- France- “The Class,” Laurent Cantet, director
- Germany- “The Baader Meinhof Complex,” Uli Edel, director
- Israel- “Waltz with Bashir,” Ari Folman, director
- Japan- “Departures,” Yojiro Takita, director
- Mexico- “Tear This Heart Out,” Roberto Sneider, director
- Sweden- “Everlasting Moments,” Jan Troell, director
- Turkey- “3 Monkeys,” Nuri Bilge Ceylan, director
The nominations for the Academy Awards will be announced January 22.