So We Received A Takedown Notice For That FANTASTIC FOUR Synopsis We Were Told Was Fake

UFFour

Time to pull back the curtain a bit.

Last month, a casting site reported what was allegedly a short synopsis of Twentieth Century Fox’s upcoming reboot of their Fantastic Four comic book adaptation franchise. Like numerous other sites, we reported on it here and our Comic Book Film Editor William Gatevackes noted that some fans may be upset that the film looks as if it may deviate from the more traditional version of the group’s origin. He also noted that the site reporting it was an untested one, casting doubt on its authenticity. (Note: the original source, Production Weekly, has their post hidden behind a pay wall.)

The next day the film’s director Josh Trank, took to twitter to say that the reported “synopsis is definitely not the synopsis or anything close to the synopsis.” That seemed to put an end an end to the story and any further thought or bandwidth given over to the film was allocated to the resumption of speculating over its potential cast.

That is until a few hours ago when I got received an email signed by someone at Fox Group Legal requesting that we take down the plot synopsis. A rather strange request for them to make if the synopsis isn’t true, don’t you think? Especially when even the notice describes the plot details as “purported.”

And we’re in good company, as the folks over at SlashFilm got one yesterday.

I suspect that other sites may have received them as well, but as I publish this the story remains intact on a number of outlets.

Anyway, at their request, I have removed the text of the synopsis. However, I have not removed the discussion of the synopsis. Please note, though, that with everything that we discuss and report on here we do so with the understanding that it is protected under Fair Use provisions in US copyright law, specifically section 107 of Title 17 of US Code which reads –

[T]he fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

I have forwarded an email to the Head of Fox Legal whose name was signed to the takedown request, asking for further clarification. I have also tweeted Josh Trank directly asking for further clarification.

We’ll see if we get a response.

Avatar
About Rich Drees 6620 Articles
A film fan since he first saw that Rebel Blockade Runner fleeing the massive Imperial Star Destroyer at the tender age of 8 and a veteran freelance journalist with twenty years experience writing about film and pop culture.
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

8 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
FilmEksis
February 5, 2014 11:28 am

So We Received A Takedown Notice For That FANTASTIC FOUR Synopsis We Were Told Was Fake http://t.co/tMQlfNhuxG

Rebecca Laincz
February 5, 2014 11:32 am

Rebecca Laincz liked this on Facebook.

Jacob Garner
February 5, 2014 11:44 am

Normally I’d say they can’t sue you for reporting the news, but this IS America.

Joe Nazzaro
February 5, 2014 12:02 pm

So by asking various sites to take down information that has already been debunked by the film’s director, the studio ensures that the information gets far more coverage than it would have been if they kept their mouths shut, not to mention the fact that it makes people start to wonder if ‘methinks the studio protests too much,’ which again generates far more coverage. This is why lawyers make extraordinarily bad publicists.

William Gatevackes
February 5, 2014 12:03 pm

William Gatevackes liked this on Facebook.

William Gatevackes
February 5, 2014 12:04 pm

I think the true moral of this thing is that FF fans should call Fox to protest these changes.

Joe Nazzaro
February 5, 2014 12:22 pm

Incidentally, Rich, you’ll get a big kick out of this one. Some months back, I interviewed a makeup artist who worked on low-budget indy feature that was getting a lot of attention because of a certain actor losing a s**t-load of weight for the role. That artist also provided a photo that ended up as our cover shot, which almost certainly contributed to that film getting into the so-called Oscar ‘bake-off,’ where the list of finalists is whittled down from seven to the final three. Anyway, about a week or two before our next issue was due to come out,… Read more »

trackback

[…] about a month ago, Film Buff Online and other movie news sites linked to a casting site called Acting Auditions that unwittingly […]