The list of films eligible for to be nominated for the Academy Award for Achievement in Visual Effects has been released and it contains quite the number of usual suspects for this category. You can see the full list below. Early next month this list will be narrowed down to ten titles from which the final five nominees will be selected. Although it is still early days, I would put my money on at least Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, Hugo and Tree Of Life making it all the way through to the final nominations which will be announced on January 24.
As with every year, there are always a few surprising exclusions from this list, most notably the effects-laden superhero film Green Lantern, director Tarsem Singh’s Greek mythology epic Immortals and Roland Emmerich’s CGI recreation of 15th century London in Anonymous.
The complete list of eligible films is as follows-
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Cowboys & Aliens
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
- Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Real Steel
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
- Sucker Punch
- Super 8
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon
- The Tree of Life
- X-Men: First Class