Viacom has announced plans to rebrand its CBS All Access streaming service early next year as Paramount+.
Additionally, it announced a slate of new series which will premier there next year ranging from a behind-the-scenes docudrama on the making of The Godfather to a Spongebob Squarepants spinoff.
The move is designed to help the service better show off an expanded library of both film and television programming from the studio’s century-long history.
Currently, CBS All Access is home to the television arm of Paramount’s Star Trek franchise featuring the live action series Discovery and Picard and the animated series Lower Decks, the revived Twilight Zone from Jordan Peele, the Good Wife spinoff The Good Fight and additional programming from the various Viacom-owned networks BET, Comedy Central, MTV and Nickelodeon.
Among the new programming announced for premier after CBS All Access’s mutation into
- The Offer – A 10-part scripted limited series dramatizing real life film producer Al Ruddy’s experiences in producing director Francis Ford Coppolla’s classic film The Godfather. Coppolla’s complete Godfather trilogy became available on the service this past summer.
- The Game – A revival of the Mara Brock Akil sports sitcom that ran for nine seasons between the CW and BET. This is a different revival attempt than the one mounted last September by the CW which the network ultimately decided to not go forward on.
- Lioness – A spy drama from Sicario screenwriter Taylor Sheridan which focuses on a Maine recruited to befriend the daughter of a terrorist in order to inflitrate and break down his terror organization.
- The Real Criminal Minds – A truce crime docuseries based on the long-running procedural series which recently wrapped up its fifteen-year run this past February.
- Behind The Music – A new iteration of the classic VH1 docuseries which explored the often fractious histories behind famous pop music acts.
In a press release Viacom CEO Bob Bakish stated –
Paramount is an iconic and storied brand beloved by consumers all over the world, and it is synonymous with quality, integrity and world-class storytelling. With Paramount+, we’re excited to establish one global streaming brand in the broad-pay segment that will draw on the sheer breadth and depth of the ViacomCBS portfolio to offer an extraordinary collection of content for everyone to enjoy.