The latest installments from the Harry Potter, Pirates Of The Caribbean and Planet Of The Apes franchise are among the ten films that have made it to the second round of consideration for nomination for the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced the paring down of the list of films that are eligible to be nominated for the Oscar from the initial qualifying 17 announced last month to ten. From this list, five films will be named when Academy Award nominations are announced on January 24th.
According to the Academy’s press release, the final five nominees will be determined by members of the Visual Effects Branch, who will screen 10-minute excerpts from each film.
The ten films to make the cut are-
- Captain America: The First Avenger
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
- Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
- Real Steel
- Rise of the Planet of the Apes
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon
- The Tree of Life
- X-Men: First Class