Being that it is only four months away, it was only a matter of time before we got that first look at the next trailer for Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. Tonight was our lucky night as the second trailer debuted during Jimmy Kimmel Live.
My initial, way too late to be completely coherent thoughts?
- I love the scene between Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne. It is well crafted and oozing with subtext. It gives me hope that the writing in the film will be top notch.
- I like the rougher edges around Bruce Wayne. He’s more Donald Trump than Cary Grant, but it fits in as someone who grew up in the grittiest town in America.
- My first impression when I saw Lex Luthor was “oh, great, they turned the Joker into a run of the mill psychopath and turned Luthor into the Joker.” Hopefully, the manic persona Jesse Eisenberg shows in the trailer will not seem so manic in larger doses.
- I’m thinking the whole “staring contest” scenes that were in the teaser released earlier this week is either a dream sequence, a possible future or an alternate reality. Those scenes just don’t fit in with the rest of the images in the trailer.
- The trailer reveals the main villain, confirming a number of rumors springing up during production, right down to the bad guy’s origin. While he’s never been my cup of tea, the villain is a major part of the Superman mythos. He should have played a bigger part in the film, and should have fought Supes alone. Unless, of course, they are planning something else with the character in the future.
- And please, by all means, include more scenes of Wonder Woman being a bad ass. She is not only becoming the one character I want to see most in the film, but I am really starting to look forward to her solo film in 2017.
- Could have done without the “I thought she was with you” joke at the end.
Overall, the trailer increased my interest in seeing the film and my belief that the film will be pretty good. You can’t ask for more.
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice opens March 25, 2016.
Image courtesy of Collider.