It is rather early in the game to know exactly what Warner Brothers has planned for their announced Justice League film featuring a team up of some of corporate sibling DC Comics’ biggest superheroes. Currently Will Beall is working on a screenplay. There are some rumors as to who may be the villain and where the plot may be originating. There has been some talk as to what other films may or may not connect to Justice League in order to form a bigger franchise, a la Marvel Studios’ comic book films. But beyond that, there has been no concrete news surrounding the project.
So what’s the latest rumor then? Well, Cosmic Book News reportedly heard from an anonymous source within DC Entertainment who supplied them with a rundown of which heroes will make up the team.
• Superman is essentially the same character from Man of Steel, and Zack Snyder is consulting regarding the writing of the character.
• Batman: The strategist of the group. Batman doesn’t really want to be involved with these super powered beings he considers too powerful. Easily the most complex written.
• Wonder Woman: She has only been in man’s world a few short months. The Wonder Woman script Michael Goldenberg is developing will be set before the Justice League movie.
• Green Lantern: Will be Ryan Reynold’s character from the Green Lantern movie, but will be freshly written with a more serious tone.
• Flash: The most popular hero in civilian eyes who loves media attention, but when called upon is very serious.
• Martian Manhunter: Alien who has lived on Earth in secret for over a hundred years who has knowledge of Darkseid and his reign.
• Aquaman: Will be the King of Atlantis who has a key role in the film.
• There will also be a heavy military presence in the film which in future rewrites could include characters featured in Man of Steel or even Amanda Waller (Angela Bassett) of which neither are included in the first draft.
• Alfred Pennyworth is in the film in a minor appearance.
• Lois Lane is also in the film in a cameo.
• Darkseid’s Elite will be featured who go up against the Justice League early on in the film.
Not surprisingly, it looks like the traditional “Big Seven” lineup of the League. What is surprising is that it looks like the studio is the approaches the studio is reportedly taking for some of the characters. While it has been assumed that the film’s iteration of Superman might be carried over from this summer’s Man Of Steel, I am surprised to see that, even with a rewrite, they are going with Green Lantern as already established in the Ryan Reynold’s film of 2011.
Of course, the whole report could be hokum but even if it is true things could still change as it continues to move through development. Taking a wait and see attitude towards this news is probably the best course. We probably won’t get a much better idea as to the cast of heroes until casting starts sometime after Warners secures a director for the film.
Justice League is scheduled for a 2015 release.